About Passport

The information provided below is based on the new Passport Guidelines effective October 1, 2014 (Ministry of Community and Social Services [MCSS]). For complete information about Passport, please visit the following links:

Commonly Asked Questions and Answers about Passport

Q: What is “Passport”?

A: Passport is a program that helps adults with a developmental disability be involved in their communities and live as independently as possible by providing funding for community participation services and supports, activities of daily living and person directed planning. The program also provides funding for caregiver respite services and supports for primary caregivers of an adult with a developmental disability.The Passport Program is funded by the MCSS. In every region of the province, a Ministry transfer payment agency has been designated the Passport Agency for their region. For the communities of Hamilton, Niagara, Brant, Haldimand, Norfolk, Six Nations of the Grand River and Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, the Passport Designated Agency is Contact Hamilton.The key goals of the Passport Program are to:

  • Foster independence by building on individuals’ abilities and developing community participation, social and daily living skills
  • Increase opportunities for participation in the community with supports that respect personal choices and decision making and help people achieve their goals
  • Promote social inclusion and broaden social relationships through the use of community resources and services available to everyone in the community
  • Help young people make the transition from school to life as an adult in the community
  • Support families and caregivers of an adult with a developmental disability so they can continue in their supportive role.

Q: Who is eligible for the Passport Program?

A: Any adult who is eligible for adult developmental services and supports funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services, including young adults who are 18 years of age and still in school, may apply for funding through Passport. Access to funding is subject to available resources.Individuals must contact the Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) in their community to request Passport.

Q: What kinds of supports and services can be funded with Passport funding?

A: Passport can be used for the following services and supports (please see the Guidelines for details about admissible and inadmissible expenses):

  • Community Participation
  • Activities of Daily Living
  • Caregiver Respite
  • Person- Directed Planning (up to $2500)
  • Administration of Passport funding (up to 10% of Passport allocation)

Q: What are the funding options I have?

A: the Passport program gives people that have been approved for funding the option of receiving funding directly to purchase community participation services and support (this is called Self-Directed Funding) or they can choose to access services and supports through MCSS funded transfer payment agencies (this is called Agency Services). People who have been approved for funding can also choose to have a combination of both options.Self-Directed Funding – means that the person who has been approved for funding will receive their funding directly. Some of the main responsibilities include but are not limited to: hiring and supervising workers and developing and managing the person’s service/support plan. To help with the work associated with managing the funding directly, people are able to use up to a maximum of 10% of their funding to purchase supports that can help them with service planning and managing your funding. Agency Services – means that the person who has been approved for funding can choose one or more Ministry funded agencies that they want to provide their service. The funding is managed between the agency and the Passport agency on the person’s behalf.

Q: What happens if I am approved for funding and am prioritized to receive it?

A: The Passport Agency will let you know if you have been prioritized to receive available Passport funding. The Passport Agency will then tell you what you need to do to get your funding. Some key activities will include you making a decision about how you want to administer your funding (e.g. Self-Directed funding, Agency Services or a combination of both), communicating that to the Passport Agency and choosing how you wish to use your funding.

Q: How do I apply for the Passport Program?

A: Anyone that is interested in the Passport Program can call their local DSO. Their DSO will need to determine the person’s eligibility for adult developmental services and supports, including Passport. The local DSO will complete the application assessment with eligible people and their support network and the DSO will make note of people that are interested in the Passport Program and will provide the Passport Agency with the application package.

Q: Do I have to reapply for the Passport Program every year?

A: Every five years, people will complete the application assessment through their local DSO to identify changes to their service and supports needs. Individual funding allocations are subject to adjustment based on needs.

Q: Who should I call if I have any questions about Passport?

Are you receiving Passport funding?
If you are currently receiving Passport funding and you have any questions about your funding including questions about eligible expenses, please call the Passport Funding Program at 905-529-5100 or toll free at 1-866-288-9659.
If you are not receiving Passport funding and would like information about it or you have some funding but feel you need more funding, please call the DSO HNR toll free at 1-877-376-4674.

Are you concerned that an adult with a developmental disability is or may be being abused?

ReportON is a direct reporting service that allows individuals to report to the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS,) concerns of alleged, suspected or witnessed incidents of abuse and/or neglect of adults receiving MCSS-funded developmental services directly through a service agency or accessing services through Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) offices.

ReportON can be accessed in many ways:

The Ministry will directly follow-up on matters relating to individuals receiving MCSS-funded developmental services, and will make appropriate referrals for matters that are outside the ministry’s jurisdiction.

Individuals contacting the ReportON service are not required to provide their name or contact details and may choose to remain anonymous. However, providing their information may be helpful in the event that the MCSS needs to contact them again, as some anonymous reports are difficult to act upon.

The Ministry will keep their personal information confidential, unless they are authorized or required by law to release that information, for example, if the police require it.

For more information about ReportON please visit the Ministry’s website: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/developmental/reportON/index.aspx

Level AA conformance, 
          W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0

  • A A A