Adult Developmental Services
As of July 1 2011, across the province of Ontario, anyone wishing information about or wanting to apply for adult developmental services will call the Developmental Services Ontario agency in their Region. There are nine DSOs in our province. Our DSO is called Developmental Services Ontario Hamilton-Niagara Region (DSO HNR) and it is administered by Contact Hamilton. The DSO HNR serves the following communities:
- Haldimand and Norfolk
- Six Nations of the Grand River
- Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation
No matter where you live in the province of Ontario, the services you receive from a DSO organization should be the same. DSO organizations in each region are responsible for the following:
- Being the single point of contact for information and application to Ministry of Community and Social Services funded adult developmental services
- Confirming people’s eligibility for adult developmental services and supports including Passport
- Using a common Application Package to assess and measure a person’s support needs
- Linking and referring people to available services and supports
DSO organizations are rooted in the new Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act 2008.
For a full description of DSO services across the province and to find the DSO that services your community, please visit the provincial DSO website: www.dsontario.ca
Are you concerned that an adult with a developmental disability is or may be being abused?
ReportON is a direct reporting service that allows individuals to report to the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS,) concerns of alleged, suspected or witnessed incidents of abuse and/or neglect of adults receiving MCSS-funded developmental services directly through a service agency or accessing services through Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) offices.
ReportON can be accessed in many ways:
- toll free phone line 1-800-575-2222
- TTY- 1-844-309-1025 and
- email address (reportONdisability@ontario.ca).
The Ministry will directly follow-up on matters relating to individuals receiving MCSS-funded developmental services, and will make appropriate referrals for matters that are outside the ministry’s jurisdiction.
Individuals contacting the ReportON service are not required to provide their name or contact details and may choose to remain anonymous. However, providing their information may be helpful in the event that the MCSS needs to contact them again, as some anonymous reports are difficult to act upon.
The Ministry will keep their personal information confidential, unless they are authorized or required by law to release that information, for example, if the police require it.
For more information about ReportON please visit the Ministry’s website: https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/developmental/reportON/index.aspx
ReportON Public Awareness Posters:
- ReportON – Poster 1
- ReportON – Poster 2
- ReportON – Poster 3
- ReportON – Poster 4
- ReportON – Poster 5
- ReportON – Poster 6
Provincial DSO Website
Legislation, Regulations, Policy Directives and Guidelines
- Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act 2008
- Quality Assurance Measures (Regulation 299/10)
- Transition: Eligibility for Adult Developmental Services Under the Act (Regulation 414/12)
- Policy Directives for Application Entities
– DSO’s are referred to as application entities in the legislation.
- Policy Directives for Service Agencies
- French Language Services Act
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and its Regulations
- Human Rights Code in Ontario
DSO HNR Policies
Ministry of Community and Social Services
- Spotlight Publications
- How to Apply for Adult Developmental Services and Supports in Ontario
- Questions and Answers: Ontario’s Developmental Services Transformation and Developmental Services Ontario Organizations
- Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS) home page
- MCSS Developmental Services
- MCSS – A New Application Process
- Hiring a Support Worker (MCSS Publication)
- Creating a Good Life in Community: Guide on Person-Directed Planning